I wasn’t going to post about this until I saw
> glad to see Dr Who back with another stonking episode
Dear oh dear…
– spoilers below…
I have to say that Saturday’s episode was one of the most annoying bits of TV I’ve seen for a while (nb, I don’t watch a lot). Doctor Who is very seldom good SF but is frequently a very good fantasy show (cf The Shakespear Code) but this weeks just got my goat on so many levels:
- Another “bottle” episode extremely similar to The Impossible Planet.
- More than one throw-away character whose sole purpose is to be horribly killed by the monster of the week and then never mentioned again, never mind greived over.
- An endearing character who through only negligence rather than malace ends up killing those they love and themselves.
- More screaming than dialogue.
- The Doctor writhing around on the floor like a landed fish (watch it with the sound on mute to get an idea of what it must have been like to film those sections).
- Nonsensicle 20th centuary references – eg Beatles vs Elvis.
- Monster of the week wandering past the doctor who does nothing to stop it.
- Survivers seem untroubled in the aftermath.
I’ve always said that Doctor Who can be very enjoyable if you have low expectations but this one was just a bit pants…
Counting down to
‘s response in… 5… 4… 3… 🙂